Bixhorn Technical Center
The mission of The Academy at the Gary D. Bixhorn Technical Center is to provide a safe and positive learning environment, addressing the academic and career needs of a diversified community of students through the efforts and abilities of a knowledgeable and dedicated staff. Our goal is to prepare students for the workforce and/or post-secondary education by building upon the strengths, talents, skills, and resources of peers, educators, industries, communities, and of the students themselves. The Academy programs encourage students to develop emotionally, intellectually, socially, and professionally. Through the use of innovative and traditional approaches to instruction, assessment and current technology, as well as the promotion of ethical values, we commit to empowering all of our students to be self-directed, creative citizens who will thrive in an ever-changing global community.
Do you want to get more involved in your child’s education?
Here is an exciting opportunity for our parents/families to serve on an ESBOCES committee.
ESBOCES Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity Parent/Family Advisory Council (PFAC)
The purpose of the ESBOCES Parent/Family Advisory Council is to serve in an advisory role to the ESBOCES Leadership Teams and advocate for families within the ESBOCES agency. The Council's aim is to provide our stakeholders with support, guidance and information to fuel equitable practices in our agency with a family lens.
- Alignment with the ESBOCES Strategic Plan
- Review and analysis of our code of conduct policies and student handbooks and provide recommendations to address any inequities
- Support in identifying, reviewing and implementing initiatives and efforts that best support students and families
- Provide workshops to bridge families and students from various communities
- Promotion of inclusion and equity for all members within our ESBOCES community
- Serving at least a one-year term
- Attending 75% of quarterly virtual meetings (there will be at least four a year at approx. 90 mins. each session)
- Serving on at least one committee (committees will be established as a council)
- Current or former family member of an ESBOCES student
If you are interested, please complete this form and the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity will get back to you with the date of our first meeting.
This "Interest Form" will be open until October 9th.
English version: https://forms.gle/NcDgmKNEUkoPAJyo7
Spanish version: https://forms.gle/5hmZt8Jmd9o5RttC9
The next issue of the ESBOCES NewsFeed will be out on October 15th.
Subscribe now to get short but regular bulletins, which highlight agency initiatives, school programs, events and other news delivered to your email inbox.
Go to esboces.org/newsfeed.com
Office of Communications
Eastern Suffolk BOCES
201 Sunrise Highway
Patchogue, NY 11772
PR@esboces.orgHello BTC Students, Family and Friends,
All of the staff here at the Bixhorn Technical Center are excited to meet you in just a few short weeks. We hope that you are enjoying the last bit of summer, and are ready to kick off your future here with us in September. We will be starting a year that looks very different from our past, but expect that you will have a successful, challenging yet rewarding, experience with us.
Below, please find some important information pertaining to the start of our 2020-2021 school year:
- Our technical programs will run five days a week in-person beginning Tuesday, September 8th.
- All students and staff are required to wear a face covering/mask, so please be sure to bring one with you each day!
- Transportation is coordinated by your home district, so please contact them with any questions or concerns.
- Our school’s Reopening Plan and other COVID-19 information can be found on the Eastern Suffolk BOCES website (www.esboces.org) as well as on the Eastern Long Island Academy of Applied Technology website (www.academyli.org).
- You should receive a welcome packet in the mail very soon. Please review all information included, and be prepared to return required forms on the first day of school.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Main Office at (631)286-6500.
See you soon!
Mr. McAleese, Principal Ms. Zergebel, Assistant Principal
REOPENING PLAN AND OTHER COVID INFORMATION
The Reopenng Plan and information regarding COVID-19 can be accessed from the BTC Academy website (www.academyli.org) home page, announcements section, as well as the Eastern Suffolk BOCES website (www.esboces.org). Please feel free to send any questions or concerns you may have to COVID-Qs@esboces.org.